Scalp eczema is one of the most common types of eczema, which can affect folks of all age groups. This irritating condition is typically characterized by red and itchy recurring skin rashes and dryness.
Scalp Eczema: Symptoms, Causes & Treatments
Common Symptoms of Scalp Eczema
The common symptoms of scalp eczema are as following:
- Flaky and itchy skin with rashes
- Dry and inflamed skin (with small blisters) on the scalp
- Turning the scalp skin red and dry with pus filled sores
- Pain, burning sensation and inflammation on the scalp area
Causes of Scalp Eczema
There are various factors that contribute in the development of this scalp issue including, fungus infection, unhygienic practices, sharing personal belongings like towels, hair brushes and other hair accessories to an infected person. Itchy and irritating scalp, hormonal imbalance in the body and seborrhoeic dermatitis are some other noticeable causes of scalp eczema.
Treatment for Scalp Dermatitis
The people, who are suffering through this condition, may adopt different treatment depending on the severity. Given below are a few most-common treatments to cure this problem.
- For a medicinal treatment, consult with your doctor who will prescribe a medication in the form of pills or oral ointment to ease the symptoms of eczema.
- Some steroid creams are also available on the markets, which can be applied to infected area to get a relief. For best results, it is recommended to apply these creams on regular basis right after taking a bath.
- A natural treatment for scalp eczema is application and massage of warm olive oil to the scalp before shampooing. The oil should stay on the effected area for at least 20-30 minutes. The soothing properties of olive oil will reduce the burning sensation
- Avoid using harsh shampoos, hair color and other chemical-based products to prevent the dry scalp. A dry scalp is more prone to get effected by this condition than a moist one.